Pages

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Cleaning the Appliances, Part One

If you've been with Angie's House for a while, you know I like to clean.  If you're a new reader then I will state right now  that cleaning brings me joy.  It feels so rewarding to me when I complete a task and step back to marvel in the results.  The other side of the coin is I clean to maintain the value of an object.  Meaning I am frugal enough to keep appliances and the like for as long as I can.

It's spring.  With this season comes lots of pollen, but also super deep cleaning to prepare the home for a long summer of canning and cooking.  I clean each room once a week, but in the spring I super clean.  Today began with cleaning the dishwasher using baking soda and vinegar.  The baking soda gets sprinkled on the floor then is swooshed around with a wet cloth along the sides. top, and bottom.  The rubber seal gets a once over as do any cracks and crevices.  Next comes out a scrub brush to remove any stubborn spots.

Another generous sprinkle of baking soda followed by a generous amount of white vinegar and the magic sound of chemistry is music to the ears.  Replacing the racks, closing the door and running the washer on the shortest setting is the final step.  Easy, quick, and rewarding.

Baking soda sprinkled on the bottom floor of the dishwasher.
Next came the vinegar.


Just to let you know I may use the dishwasher twice a month, but it was still dirty with a grease buildup on the arm and the short section that props up the arm away from the floor.  Removing the grease lengthens the life of a dishwasher.  To me being frugal does not have to mean going without.  It also includes care of what we possess  to have an object last as long as possible.

I would like to stress that I'm retired and can do these tasks whenever I feel the need.  I don't need a schedule.  If you are a young mom who works outside the home, you will need to make choices of what is important to you and/or  creating a schedule will greatly benefit you.  It may benefit you and your family if you used a vacation day to deep clean the home if at all possible.  If not, please don't fret about it.  You may only have the energy to focus on the personal needs of the family.  Just do the best you can.

A peek into my history:  My husband was in the ICU for days. (I can't remember how long.)  Two friends dropped over to bring food because they knew I spent quite a bit of time at the hospital.  Our eldest daughter watched her siblings after school and did light cleaning (dishes) until I could come home in the early evenings.

This particular day my mother (often referred to simply as 'Mary') came to visit.  I sure could have used her support and maybe a couple of loads of wash done.  She kept looking at me for a few minutes with disgust on her face.  Then out of no where she told me how ashamed I should be because my house was such a mess. The shock of her statement had my mouth hanging open and tears welling up in my eyes.  I was frozen.  Normally she would keep her nasty side hidden from others, but this must have been too much for her to keep in.  My friends came to my defense by shaming her for her attitude.  So, yes, I've been there and it hurts not to be perfect 24/7.  So please (I'm begging) don't worry if your life is full.  Do what you can when you can.  It's so much more important to show love and support to you family than have a clean dishwasher.  Keeping the family healthy in the home environment includes keeping germs at bay in the kitchen and bathroom.  Dust can certainly wait a while.

The only other item I cleaned this morning was the dryer lint catcher.  I scrubbed it down in the sink and dried it before using it to dry Marley's bedding.  That's it for the morning for me.  If I feel energetic this afternoon I will tackle the freezer hoping to find a pork chop for dinner!


Not the greatest picture, but a clean
lint catcher none the less.

Stay safe.

11 comments:

  1. I do hope, you found a nice little surprise in your freezer(like the pork chop you mentioned). Having done a lot of cleaning is surely a satisfying job, but it also makes you hungry!
    The - let me say - very strange attitude of your mother when you were ill is so offensive
    and distressing. So completely incomprehensible. Thoughtlessness maybe? If this would have
    happened to me I would feel hurt. Deeply. When we are sick or feel bad we need comfort and
    help where it is possible. I hope you could overcome this inner pain.I would like to find better words, but my English is not good enough to express this feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your English is fine. There's nothing that she has done to me that hurts anymore. If it did it would still be buried deep inside my spirit. I ended up feeling very sorry for her because she didn't like her children. We were the gemstones in her crown, but she could never see that. For that she was pitied by me. My brothers didn't come away with the blessings I did. Thank you for caring. I appreciate it. Please know I told the story to help young mothers adjust to their schedules.

      Delete
  2. Oh Angie I feel quite awful that your mother said that to you . I love your cleaning idea's, I just wish I liked cleaning a bit more ! Hugs to you and dear Marley x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your heartfelt comment. Things she did do not hurt anymore. Being Catholic I still pray for her departed soul. It was difficult at first, but by praying for her, I have found a peace. I refuse to be encumbered by the past, looking forward only to a bright future. Just to let my readers know, I told that story to encourage young women not to worry about what their capabilities are, to just do the best possible and have peace with it.

      Delete
  3. Prayers for dear Marley started xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. Prayers work because I took her back to the vet when I was filled with fear. She saw another vet and he told me they could contain the pain and make her comfortable. I'm much more settled in about this now. She has pain pills.

      Delete
  4. Oh Angie I am happy to hear this . Strangely yesterday after I read about Marley My dog got sick! Bobby , my rescue dog like Miss Marley , vomitted. He was then very lethargic and his body movements were odd. I rang the vet but they could not see him till late that afternoon. I was distraught ! After reading about Marley and then Bob sick. After a couple of hours he was fine and wagging his tail . I was much relieved . Just such a strange coincidence Angie, just after reading about Marley and then Bob getting sick straight after .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These pups certainly know how to give us a fright. I'm so glad he's feeling better. I hate when they're sick because they don't know what's going on and look to us for help. Give Bobby a hug for me and tell him 'good boy'!

      Delete
  5. I know how you feel. My mother sometimes behaved in a similar way, not because she was malicious but because she had no empathy. She never should have been a parent. Like you, I've successfully put all this behind me. I was and still am, a very good mum to my three grown children and that's what matters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry for the pain you had to endure as a child. But, I'm happy that -as an adult - you could see that the faults were not yours, but rather a glitch in your mom. Like your mom, Mary never should have had children. Welcome to the world of good parenting. We made it!!!!!!!!!

      Delete