Pages

Powered By Blogger

Monday, February 15, 2016

Winter Can Bring Comfort

To know me now it would be difficult for anyone to believe I spent most of my years  in the tundra of Central New York State.  Temperatures have been known to hit 32 degrees below zero (F.), not counting the wind chill factor.  As a matter of fact while speaking with a friend who lives in that area this week, it hit 29 below zero. (F)

I've stayed in the comfort of my home all week because the temperatures were in the twenties and below.  In the house I wore sweats, three shirts and knee socks with an increased  thermostat setting.  And - I was cold.  Very cold.  My neck could hardly move, it was so seized up.  I think it may have been the cold. 

Last night we had a snow storm.  Today it's turned to rain.  That would be OK if the sun was shining.  But, it's not.  I pray the rain doesn't turn to ice when the sun sets at around six PM.  Tomorrow?  We're told to expect a temperature in the sixties.  Seems crazy, doesn't it?

I live in the one area of the East Coast that all weather fronts converge.  They meet from three directions - North, South, West, then move out to the ocean.  There you have it.  Never a dull moment.

This morning's breakfast was created out of bits and pieces from the refrigerator.  It came out quite nice so I named it 'plate quiche'.  I used all of the ingredients used in a spinach quiche, but cooked it on the stove top with salt and pepper the only seasoning.  Bread went into the toaster and was slathered with home made peach jam. 

Today I'm making a pan of peanut butter brownies to eat as my dessert this week.  I have to comb the freezer to see what I can make for meals.  I do have a ready made salad in one of those green bags so that can be for lunch with a side of canned peaches that are left over from yesterday. I put peanut butter in the brownies to add some protein.  That and a glass of cold milk should balance the carbs in the brownie.

Frugal accomplishments this week were simply no spend days all week, with the exception of one day and cooking from the pantry and anything else that was on hand.

7 comments:

  1. I hope you keep warm Angie. Sounds like you have been having some interesting and changeable weather. It's very hot here with several days of 35c . Unbelievably in West Australia on the weekend temperatures hit 50c, cannot believe how hot that would be . Keep warm and safe dear friend x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think - at this time - I would welcome your weather. There was a time it was hard on me when the heat was high. I think all of my girl hormones are gone now because even in summer I can be cold. Such is life. :)

      Delete
  2. That weather you wrote about sounds really horrible. But you do not have to leave your house and have on hand all you need. Give yourself a nice treat, such as a warm lovely
    smelling bath, a hot water-bottle and a cup of hot coffee and a snack afterwards. And
    maybe watching a film or reading something you like. As long as one does not feel sick
    there are lots of ways to help and feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I took your advice and added a manicure at home. I was tempted to paint the pup's paws, too, but refrained. I know she would have let me, but I felt sorry for her after I laughed at what it would look like.

      Delete
    2. I'm enjoying the picture in my mind of Marley with painted toenails.

      Delete
  3. I can relate to those temps in NY... I experienced 30 below one winter while on a farm in northeast Nebraska. We had sheep and the ewes were lambing... not a fun time. I thought my glasses were going to freeze to my face. Glad to hear your temps will rise. I too stay home to save money.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know it wasn't an easy time for you and the animals, but what a miracle to witness the births. I hope you're warmer now. Thank you for commenting.

    ReplyDelete