Pages

Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Frugal Decorating

I lost a long post yesterday trying to upload photos.  After a few curse words (only two) I decided to give up while I was ahead.

I'll give it another good ol' boy try today.

I have lived here in the south a little over two years.  In all that time I have not been able to find anything to hang over my bed.  Since this isn't earthquake country, it's customary to display something pretty over the bed.  I didn't want just anything.  It had to be something with meaning to me.  The stores are not the place to find something like that.  So I have been on a mission.  A long one.

I hit pay dirt yesterday afternoon.  I went to a local thrift store just because I was curious.  I didn't have this particular item in mind - just browsing.  Along the back wall was a huge box with large, larger, and largest frames in it.  Not expecting much, I pawed through it.  I found a huge white frame that I thought was great.  My mind went in a different direction when I saw the price.  49.98.  I have never seen such a price at a thrift (key word being thrift) store before.  Holy gads!  They must be banana cakes.  A bit disappointed, but still on the mission, I scratched through the rest of the frames.  The last one was about the same size, only it was gold.  I had paint and a brush at home.  But then I was apprehensive to turn the frame over to check the price.  No price.  Ah, this one is free I see.  When I checked it out they priced it at 12.98.  A good deal.

I went to pay for it and was asked if I had military ID.  Why yes, indeedy.  That little card saved me 20% and the tax.  It was Memorial Day.  The store was honoring the military.  I said a prayer of thanksgiving and proceeded to take my treasure home.

My husband use to say that one man's trash is another man's treasure.  I thought of him, gave him a spiritual kiss, and thanked him for his service to our country.

The frame is painted white.  I sanded it and tried to remember what Bob had taught me about using a light touch with the brush.  It was almost like he was there with me.  He's always welcome.

My plan is to grab some plain material (on sale) and screen fern leaves on it.  I'm hoping stretching it on a piece of core board will work to keep it's shape.

I don't have an after picture of the frame  to post.  I did take them, but I don't know how to post them with this new computer.  It worked well last week, this week, not so much.  I do have a photo of the before wall, which I have posted just below.

If you have any suggestions to enhance my idea or perhaps you have solved a decorating problem with being frugal in mind, I'd like to hear them.  I'm sure others can benefit from your experience, too.

Stay safe.
Angie





No comments:

Post a Comment