Pages

Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, July 19, 2016

A Different Kind of Post This Morning

Thirty seven years ago my sister in law sent me a birthday card.  I remember that card in full detail because it had a prayer on it written by Helen Steiner Rice.  I memorized the prayer and have said it every morning since.  It goes like this:

Good morning, Lord
You are ushering in another day
Untouched and freshly new.
And here I come to ask you. Lord, if
You'd renew me, too.
Forgive the many errors that I made yesterday,
And take my hand and hold it tight,
For I can't walk alone.
Amen

This little prayer served me as a quick reminder of my need to depend on Him as small children called out my name early in the morning from a crib.  Or a disagreement rose up from two toddlers well before the sun could cast a shadow on the gardens.

Today this prayer has a renewed meaning for me that spans society and the globe.  I can picture the feelings of confusion, instability, and fear dissipating throughout the civilized world if this prayer were said each morning by every person, whether they believed in it's words or not.  What harm would it do?  There would be no ill effects from the practice, but there would be so many blessings from these few spoken words.

I'm not a very political person and quite frankly don't understand politics that well.  What I do see is the social battles we are experiencing are not battles between men, but rather battles between powers and principalities, unseen to us.  The atmosphere of confusion is being used to provoke people to carry out actions that they normally wouldn't commit.

My request this morning is that my dear readers think about this post.  Reflect on it and see if this is something you'd like to participate in.  I'll make a promise.  Every little prayer reaches heaven.  We can make a difference.

Stay safe.

6 comments:

  1. Your thoughts touched me emotionally. In these days we often become desperate when we read and hear in the news about all those brutalities in our world and we cannot find an answer.
    Cruel acts of terrorism in Europe ( Paris, Nizza and so many other places), boundless hate for policemen in the US by certain sections of the population. It seems, mankind has not learned from the past. We have religious freedom and everybody can be a religious person when he recognizes democratic values and human rights at the same time. People who are not
    willing to accept this 100% should better stay in their cultural area. Some problems could
    possibly avoided this way. Of course this is just my personal opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know there is so much cruelty we hear about. It saddens my heart, too. This is when I remind myself that we are really not in charge. I tell God I trust Him and move on. I don't think I would be emotionally stable if I drew all the cruelty into my heart and let it fester there. A big hug for you this day.

      Delete
  2. Angie, I love this post. I really needed to be reminded that "we wrestle not against flesh and blood," and that my prayers can make a difference. I'm going to join you in praying every morning. Thank you for your encouragement.

    ReplyDelete