Pages

Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 23, 2015

Missing in Action, But Busy

I've taken a rest from blogging just because I've had very little to say.  The time was spent on reflection.  I can't help but be a little sad about what is going on in the world.  If I could I would help take poverty away from everyone.  It's not a sin to be broke.  It can be difficult, especially when there are children involved.  But, from experience, I found being at the bottom of the economic food chain is humbling and challenging.  I hope all of the true refugees from the Middle East find food and shelter to protect their families.  I won't say what I wish for the terrorists who hide behind women and children like cowards.

Thanksgiving day is three days away.  We've decided who will make what foods and have made our lists.  This morning I went to the WalMart grocery store to price match a few items and pick up the things I need to make my dishes.  My contributions are:  Watergate salad, shrimp cheese ball, olive cheese ball, jello, chocolate cream pie, and a  salad.  I'll begin today to prep some of the items.  I can clean and cut the veggies for the salad and make the cheese balls.  The pies and other items will get made late Wednesday.

I had lettuce, feta cheese, carrots, and chick peas in the refrigerator.
I needed a cucumber, celery, and radishes to complete the salad.
I found a bottle of organic balsamic vinegar dressing which
promises to be a yummy addition to the salad.

All of the main ingredients for the olive cheese ball.  Adding a
few drops of hot sauce and some garlic powder for
taste is all that's needed to make a quick and easy
appetizer.


I also bought three poinsettia plants (white) to decorate the house for Christmas.  This and the tree and the nativity are pretty much what I do to decorate for Christmas.  This week the plants were 3.94, but next week they'll bring the price up.  So, even though I don't decorate until after Thanksgiving, I grabbed them while the price was right.

It was a surprise that the poinsettias were so large and healthy. 
You know I had to grab them while the grabbing was good.
The plants usually last for a few months after Christmas.


ACCOMPLISHMENTS

1.Master bath was scrubbed from top to bottom
2.Laundry room was also scrubbed
3.Kitchen was scrubbed down as well
4.I cooked a batch meal of green peppers from the garden (last year's) and sweet Italian sausage.  I use food saver bags for the freezer so the food will last a while.  I'm in the middle of eating from the freezer to make room for fresh sale items.
5.Four loads of laundry
6.Stayed with the five year old when mom went to the turkey dinner with his baby sister at preschool.
7.Finished my Christmas shopping.
8.Mailed out two birthday packages.
9.Attended a small gathering for daughter number one's birthday.
10.Bought daughter number three's birthday gift.
11.Checked out the Dollar Tree
12.Bought a warm winter coat.
13.Donated three coats I don't wear.  Even though they were in great condition they were 11years old.
14.Made three jars of applesauce.


I used apples that I didn't want to go bad so there are only
three jars of applesauce.  Since there was a small amount,
I froze the jars instead of canning them.



Olive Cheese Ball
1 8 oz cream cheese
1/2 jar green olives, chopped (small pieces)
1/2 can black olives, chopped (small pieces)
3 to 5 dashes of hot sauce
garlic powder to taste
Combine all ingredients, then form into a ball and wrap with plastic wrap.  Refrigerate
Best if made a day before it's eaten.

4 comments:

  1. I am glad to hear that all is well Angie. As always you have been busy. So much to do at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to mention I sent your seeds to you 11 days ago. I'd appreciate it if you let me know when they arrive. I have sent seeds 2 other times that were never received. If you don't get them, I'm having a discussion with the post office.

      Delete
  2. Those cheese balls are an appealing idea for olive lovers (I am). I like to use double cream cheese for kinds of vegetarian
    sandwich spreads. For example mixed with a bit of soft butter, some tomato paste, sweet paprika powder and finely chopped
    onions. Or mixed with fresh herbs you have on hand, specially chives. We also like this preparation eaten with potatoes in
    their peel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMGosh! What great frugal hacks. I'm definitely going to try this as a sandwich spread.

      Delete