Pages

Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

I've So Much To Talk About Today

Good morning to you dear readers.  I've been a bit busy as Sunday was my birthday.  I am now 'older than dirt', as the saying goes.  Still moving around even if not as fast as I once was.  My career was in heath care and moving fast was half of the job.  Pushing heavy equipment also kept my muscles toned.  The last 10 years weren't as physical as I ended up as a director of a department, so not so much toning going on there.  I do some exercise at home, but it's not my favorite thing to do.  It never was, even in gym class.

It snowed here again last night with about 4 inches.  Today is sunny and bright which is melting the snow.  But, tonight we are expected to get 6 inches more.  Where I'm from in the North that's a walk in the park.  In the South it's sheer madness.  The normal temperatures in this area - for this time of the year - are in the 50s, and have been known to be as high as mid 70s (F).  It appears the term global warming needs to be altered.

Decked out in my 30 degree below jacket, ear muffs, and mittens, I ventured out to grab some milk.  Venturing out to buy one item is something I haven't done in years and years.  The need arose because the milk that was delivered by the milkman was in a glass bottle.  Since I am the first stop on his route of 156 deliveries, the milk froze and the bottle shattered.  I didn't want them to make a special delivery just to me and told them I could wait.  I had no idea all of the snow and ice we were in for.  All's well that ends well.

A trip to the dollar store again this week netted a few good finds.  I picked up Easter cards for the grandchildren who live in the North , as well as stickers to pop inside the card.  Even the 15 year old will get stickers this year!  I'm sure he'll find something constructive to do with them.



They had quite a bit of Easter decorations out in the front of the store.  I was thrilled to see a large violet colored cross that I'll hang on the pantry door.  I also found a large magnet of the Easter Bunny that I put on the dishwasher.  The refrigerator won't hold it up because it's stainless steel.  Since I fell in love with the magnet, I thought the dishwasher would work just as well.  It's in the sight line of the 2 year old.  This should be very interesting.




They also had gardening items on the shelves.  I got soil, a weed mat, and tomato fertilizer spikes for the garden.  The mat is large enough to cover the area behind the blackberry bush so I don't have to crawl back there to weed.

My total came to $12.00.

My birthday went well.  My kids took me out to dinner when we could all be together,  The service was so poor that the manager gave me a load of things to make up for it.  Two meals, a $20.00 gift card, and a dessert at no charge.  Happy birthday!

I received some nice gifts, as well.  Look below for a picture of a couple of them.
I think you may have picked up how obsessed I am with an organized pantry.  My eldest daughter found these 2 quart jars for me.  I have been looking at them for quite a while, but would not pay the shipping charge.  She found them in a local store.
Is this the cutest?  A dress to keep a potted plant warm.  A few giggles escaped when I opened this package.

A friend sent me a pair of mittens she knitted for me.  They came in handy when I popped over to a local store for milk today.



And, of course, you remember the bay plant a friend sent me a
few days earlier.  No name yet, but I am leaning towards Bobby Bay.
 

Something else that I started doing.  I bought a set of 2 journals in the clearance section of TJ Maxx for $2.25 each.  One will become my gardening journal and the other I have next to my computer to jot down notes.  No more pieces of loose paper hanging around waiting to be thrown out.

What have you been up to?  I hope you're keeping warm - or cool - depending on where you live. 

Before I leave may I ask a favor of prayer?  There is a 10 year old boy who lives in my home town who has cancer.  There is nothing more the doctors can do for him, but I know God can.  Would you keep him in your prayers for a while? He's touched my heart in a special way.  Thank you.  His name is Julian.

Stay safe.

6 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday, Angie.
    I will add Julian to my prayer list.
    Jo Ann

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the birthday wishes. Thank you especially for prayers for Julian. Prayer is powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those warm mittens were a very suitable birthday present, especially when you went out to buy the milk. We have had hardly
    any snow in this south-west corner of Germany, but the temperate of 40 degrees F is rather cold. It´s still winter, so that´s quite
    natural. Your storage containers out of glas are very practical. With tight srew caps it keeps away the moths.
    I am glad that I can do most of my shopping by bike , as long as the streets are free of ice and snow.
    I wish you a peaceful week end. Christel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting to me that you are able to bike to a grocery store. Do you have a large basket on the bike? Is your area a small town? Do you have small shops or the huge ones we have? Walmart has closed all of our small shops in small towns because they have lower prices. It's a shame we can't walk or bike to a corner store any longer.

      Delete
  4. Yes, Angie, we have a well-stocked supermarket in our village and also a large supermarket with organic food, bread shops,
    butcher, a ware-house for agricultural needs (seeds, fertilizer etc.) Our community takes special care for shops nearby.I can
    transport a lot with my bike as I have 2 baskets (front and back). If you have some time left, please look under
    www.eichstetten.de. (home page of the village) Also in english ! So interesting. Greetings! Christel

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the response. European cultures have become an interest of mine. My husband was of German, Austrian, and Polish descent so his grandmother taught me how to make some of his favorite foods.

    My interests lie mostly with German and English, as well as Italian cultures. I will definitely check out the website you offered.

    ReplyDelete