Pages

Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 10, 2014

The Verbal Wanderings of an Elder

The weekend went quickly, even for a granny with not much responsibility to others.  I normally stay home on the weekends, but that doesn't mean I can't have company.

The youngest daughter had to work Saturday night so her husband and children joined my eldest daughter's family for dinner at my house.  I made a loaf of bread, a beautiful salad filled with mushrooms, carrots, cucumbers and summer sausage - all over a bed of Romaine lettuce.  A simple dressing of olive oil and balsamic vinegar pored over it and all was well.

The main dish was spaghetti with sausage and meat balls.  I had the sauce in the freezer from when I made the big pot a few weeks back.  It was the best I've ever made.  (I forgot to take pictures.)

The kiddos were sent up in the loft to play, and play they did.  We heard quite a bit of giggling and car crashes from the living area.  Best not to 'check' on things as no one was crying or injured.  Just good old independent play.  Children need to play from time to time without mother correcting every thing they do.  There's plenty of time for that at other times.  Once in a while, independent play is good because things can come up that a child needs to work out to develop their skills in problem solving.

The sun is shining today, but it's deceiving.  It looks warm out, but the ocean air is cool.  So dressed in 2 tops and knee socks under my jeans my son in law and I went to a store to solve a problem about a broken item.  I was only gone a short time, but the pup thought it was forever.  It's so nice to have her welcome me with a wiggly butt and excitement. 

A nice rump roast went into the crock pot this morning for dinner tonight.  My daughter and her family are coming over to share a meal with me.  It's good to have loved ones around a table with good food and laughter.  If the truth be known I miss eating with others and laughing over a good meal.  Eating dinner alone just isn't all that much of a big deal.  Mostly I'll grab some raw veggies and fruit to eat with cheese and a slice of toast.  Then sit in front of the computer to watch a video. 

Well, it is what it is and no use crying over what can't be changed.  I make the best of life because I'm thankful for life itself.

What's cooking in your house tonight?

No comments:

Post a Comment