Pages

Powered By Blogger

Sunday, September 14, 2014

I'm May Be Getting the Hang of This Fall Decorating Thing

Saturday there was a short, but violent rain storm.  This is common in the area I live in.  These storms are rather comforting to me.  I love to see the earth renewed and the dirt washed away.  There was something a bit different about this storm.  It brought in fall air.  How refreshing to be able to open the windows wide so the fresh smell can permeate the inside of my home.  What a gift from God.  I know it happens every year, but that does not mean it's not a gift.  It just happens to be one that we are use to, forgetting it's a gift. 

Friday I went to do errands with my daughter.  As she did an errand at the sports shop, I ran into Pier One.  I wanted to look for a fall wreath for my front door.  The wreaths started at 40.00, so I quickly changed my strategy.  They weren't all that substantial anyway.  I did, however, find a wood hanging plaque with a stack of happy looking pumpkins welcoming in the season.  It was less than half the cost of the cheapest wreath.  The hanging became mine.

How cute is that?!!! I need to grab some putty to attach the hanging to the door because it blows around in the wind.  The dog thinks someone is at the door when she hears it knocking around against the door.  I'm not sure she can take all the excitement.

Yesterday I unpacked the few items I had bought at the end of last year, on sale.  I got a wrought iron looking pumpkin candle holder from Kohl's for $4.99 and put it away.  I forgot I had it until I started looking in my holiday closet.  I also had an off white pumpkin I got last year, as well as a plaque wall hanging.  I put the plaque in the powder room hanging from the shelf I put up a couple of weeks ago.  As a gift my daughter bought me a Sensy burner in the shape of an owl.


The owl graces the small round table next to a chair.  I'll have to think of a name for him.  Better yet, I'll have one of my grands do the thinking for me. tee hee

So far, this plaque and the door plaque are my favorite things.  The candle jar I cleaned out last week went next to the candle on this shelf with a bathroom item in it.



The white pumpkin went on the fireplace with the new one purchased last week and a candle.  I knew the mantel needed something else, but I wasn't sure what.  I was talking to a friend on the phone, and we went online to find pictures of mantels.  Thank God I have someone who is creative to guide me.  It never occurred to me to look at pictures online to get inspiration.  Most of the mantels had the one thing I'm missing - garland. Another thing I wasn't aware of is that the normal things used to decorate through the year had to be removed and replaced with the fall items.  I know that is a fundamental idea, but I never caught on to it until this year.

I think the mantel looks bare without the garland.  I think I'm on the right track though.  I moved the wreath to the bedroom and hung a picture my daughter sent me (Daughter # 2) in it's place.

I can't say how excited I am to decorate this year.  I feel like a kid in a candy shop.  The old sparky me is coming back to the surface.  I could almost see my dear sweet husband smiling as I was moving things around - just like he did when he was here with me.  Even though I miss him every day, I now smile when I think of him.  I wish every woman could experience a good man like him.  I really do.

Today I plan on going back to Pier One to grab a garland.  They have substantial ones there.  I've never used garland before, but I think it's time I catch up with the rest of the world.  If I'm not comfortable with it, then I'll take it back.

The windows are open, the closet doors are open and my spirit is soaring.  It's a wonderful life.

Do you decorate for fall?  What's your favorite things to display?  Do you have a fireplace?

1 comment: