Pages

Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

I'd Like to Introduce You To... Continued

 
I had two small plants in the house that I planted from heirloom seeds.  I forgot to label them, then couldn't remember what I planted.  When I was at the garden center I picked up two pepper plants.  Peppers are a favorite either cooked or raw.  Imagine my surprise when I brought them home and the leaves were the same as the two seedlings that flourished in the window.  The plant on the right is my seedling.  The one on the left is the garden center plant.  Both appear to be strong, but, once again the garden center plant wins the largest award.  It will be interesting to see if the  seedling ever catches up to the big plant.
 
 
 
 
Although I planted an entire row of endive lettuce , this is the only one that grew.  A bit disappointing, but one is better than none.  I picked 4 leaves off the outer edge for lunch today.  I'll have a hard boiled egg and a slice of toast with dressing on the leaves.  I guess I'll have to tell the dog 'No begging,' because she'll smell the blue cheese dressing and want some.
 
 
 
 
Last, but not least are the beets.  Two rows planted, two rows germinated.  I picked the two that broke through the ground for a dinner last week and felt like an indulged princess when I tasted them.   I simply boiled them with a pinch of sugar and ate them with salt and pepper.  Yum.  I cooked the leaves as I would spinach (in boiling water).  I thought they were a bit grainy tasting.  I have since learned to roll them with a rolling pin to break them down before cooking to prevent the grainy texture.  When these are ready I will try that to see if it works.
 
There's the main stars of my garden.  I baby every one of them.  Today I am planting strawberries.  I want to be able to eat, and share, good old fashioned healthy food.  As the saying goes, I'm not getting any younger, and I'd like to be as fit as I can to continue contributing to society.  'Society' these days can be translated into 'family and friends'.  I closed the borders a while back.  It's a good way to live.  Others may not agree with my actions, but since the borders are closed, it really doesn't affect me.
 
Stay safe.
Angie
 

2 comments:

  1. Those beets look very healthy! Nice garden, indeed. :-) Of course, I'm partial to Oliver and Lawrence and the blackberry bush.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha Ha Ha. I can see why! Hasn't Ollie grown to be a fine young man?

      Delete