Pages

Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Christmas is Love in a Stocking

Christmas is my favorite holiday. It's a time when even the most hardened of hearts swells with good will. I love, love, love Christmas!

When we started our family we decided it was important that the children understood what Christmas stood for. It is, after all, a celebration of a birth. The birth of Jesus. It may not have always been known by our kids that Daddy had anything to do with this, but both of us felt it was important to let the kids know that Jesus was an important part of our family life.

Having four children, one who was sick for quite a few years, money was tight. But the rest of what family offers wasn't. I remember the year our youngest daughter was born (in December) my husband handed me $40.00 for gifts for the other three kids, 2 days before Christmas.

Money in hand, and a prayer in my heart, I went to a local discount store. I had so much fun. When I went into the store the toys on my list popped out at me. They were all on sale at a deep discount. I left the store with bags of gifts and 2.00 in my pocket.

I spent that 2.00 on candy and oranges for the Christmas stockings.

Back then we had coupons and rebates, but nothing like what is available to us today. I probably could do better with some time to plan and watching the ads, if my shopping trip were today.

Each year I learn a little bit more about the true meaning of Christmas. Today I see it is more about the family being together concept than the gifts. Back then the gifts made it fun because everyone was young. Today the gifts have become a small part of our celebration, even though there are grandchildren. The gift I am thankful for is our family, with Jesus as our leader. And the food has taken second place in the fun.

I'm thankful for the family that is our legacy. I'm thankful for the food on our table, but I will miss my husband's presence - although I know he will be here in spirit. I am also thankful for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment