Pages

Powered By Blogger

Saturday, November 20, 2010

Easy "AS PIE" Pie Crust and Price Breakdown

A friend gave me this recipe after I whined about not mastering making a pie crust.  After 40 years of trying, I finally hit the jackpot.  There's no talent or rolling needed and just a few minutes to make it.  I call it "Pepperdoo's Amish Pie Crust'.  My friend insist I give credit to the author.  The recipe came from the cookbook 'Amish Cooking From Quilt Country'. and is referred to as Pat in Pan Pie Crust.

1 1/2 C + 3 T flour
1 1/2 t sugar
1/2 t salt
1/2 C vegetable oil
3 T cold milk

Mix dry ingredients in a pie pan.  (Mix by hand or fork.)  Combine oil and milk and blend.  Pour over dry ingredients and mix (I start with a fork then use my hands)  When dough comes together begin patting it on the sides of the pan.  Continue patting it on the bottom until dough is evenly spread.  Bake in 425 oven for 10-15 minutes.

Depending on the cost of the flour and oil this crust costs (costs are figured on regular prices in my area)
 Flour (5lb) .20
Oil (40 oz bottle) .46

The rest of the ingredients are difficult to tie down, so I'm adding .20 to be on the safe side.  Total .86 cents.

My cost after coupons and sales:

Flour .19
Oil .21
Milk (1.79 gal)
salt  (.33 carton)
sugar (2.29 5lb)

So I think it's fair to say .10 for the additional ingredients.  My total, .50  If I made 1 crust a week for pies and 2 a month for quiche the annual cost would be:

Mine, using on sale ingredients 39.00
Mine, using regular price ingredients 67.08
Ready made (1.29 each)  100.62

The frugal costs are 38.5% of the ready made crust. Or an annual savings of 61.62.  This may seem like an insignificant amount, but add these savings to using just 4 1.00 coupons a week (208.00 annual savings) and your total savings just went up to 269.62.  With very little effort.

To make the crusts readily available for a 'fast food' meal, I'm going to begin making them and freezing them.  Quiche and a salad is a quick, healthy and easy meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment